Pasadena Tenant Justice Coalition

Resources and Support

Issues with Renting?

Because Pasadena does not have rent control and eviction protections, for many of the situations below there is little that can be done. But there are still some basic legal requirements that landlords must meet to rent out a place, and if they do not meet these requirements, you have some options available to you. You should find out more through the resources offered in the following sections.

  • Rent increase: If you are on a month to month lease, then you can be served with a 30 day notice of a rent increase as long as the increase is less than 10%. For increases greater than 10%, you can be served with a 60 day notice of the increase at any time. Use the resources below to find out more about what you can do.
  • Eviction notice/notice to vacate: If you are on a month to month lease, you can be served with a 60 day notice to vacate your home at any time. However, the landlord cannot lock you out or cut off the utilities to get you to move out faster. Use the resources below to find out more about what you can do.
  • Habitability issues: The California Civil Code 1941.1 requires that any rented unit be habitable to live in. This means that apartments should have things like working hot water; working heating; no holes in walls, floors, carpet, windows; and other requirements (see the code for full details). If you are experiencing habitability issues, you should document everything and request repairs in writing. If the landlord does not respond in a reasonable amount of time, you can call the City's Code Enforcement Department. Use the resources below to find out more about what you can do.


  • Pasadena Tenants Union (PTU): A local organization with tenant solidarity volunteers who are not legal advisers but can assist from experience with tenant rights and tenant organizing. PTU also has template letters you can send to your landlord for specific issues. Often these letters compel landlords to act. These letters can be found here.
  • Los Angeles Tenants Union (LATU): An organization with experience in housing issues in Los Angeles city. LATU has a free and very readable handbook on tenant rights, as well as a tenant solidarity network.
  • Tenants Together: A California wide tenant rights organization with free one-on-one phone counseling sessions offered to members. Membership is donation based ($10-100 suggested per year) and no one is turned away for lack of funds

Retaliation in Response to Campaign?

Please let us know at if you have received a written or verbal notice of a rent increase or a notice to vacate due to our Rent Control and Eviction Protections Campaign. In addition, let us know if you have been threatened with rent increases or notices to vacate as a result of your potential support, signature, or vote in favor of the campaign.

PTJC and PTU are working closely with a legal adviser to discuss the potential harassment of tenants in response to organizing. PTJC and PTU will inform the State's Attorney and ask for investigation of any voter intimidation or coercion.

Your information is private and will be shared only if you approve.